Combination Technician – Burns
|Department Plant||Supervisor Plant Supervisor|
|FLSA Status NON-EXEMPT||Location Burns, WY|
|Date October 30, 2020||Closing Open Until Filled|
This position installs, maintains, and services telephone lines, broadband lines, cable lines, Ethernet and special circuit lines, access/subscriber carrier systems, cable terminals, protection devices, and customer-owned equipment. May also diagnose and repair trouble in switching equipment, transmission equipment, alarm network equipment, wireless systems, standby generators, fiber equipment, voice frequency repeaters, loop extenders, and cable loading systems. Coordinates with other departments on service installations and changes necessary to update billing, facilities, and other company records. Completes all installation and repair-related forms and reports
Duties and Responsibilities
- Installs new services and equipment for subscribers by installing aerial and buried copper or fiber optic drop wires, station wires, network interface devices, fiber optic facilities, fiber optic fed remotes and FTTx or Fiber to the Premises equipment such as the ONT (Optical Network Terminal), power supplies and battery backup equipment. Uses appropriate tools, proper hardware, and industry procedures to meet all applicable codes and safety requirements.
- Maintains and repairs existing services and equipment by using test sets to locate and isolate copper line trouble, fiber optic trouble, wireless radio trouble, and switching troubles. Determines necessary repairs which may include repairing copper and fiber optic cable, wiring, station protectors, ground connections, running new wires and replacing jacks, fiber optic facilities, switching equipment, fiber optic equipment, and pedestals as needed.
- Maintains and repairs Central Office switching equipment, fiber optic equipment, transmission/transport equipment, Ethernet, special circuits, standby generators, alarm network equipment, broadband equipment, voice frequency repeaters, loop extenders, and cable loading systems in compliance with Telcordia GR-1275-CORE Iss. XX – Central Office/Network Environment Standards Documentation.
- Install and maintains key systems equipment and other nonregulated equipment.
- Completes all Outside Plant and Central Office installation and repair related forms and reports. Use of computers and computer operating systems.
- Uses computers and computer operating systems to complete all Outside Plant and Central Office installation and repair related forms and reports.
- Coordinates with other departments on service installations and changes necessary to update billing, facilities and other company records. Completes all installation and repair-related forms and reports.
- Responsible to communicate location to Supervisor or designated individual.
- May confer with customers or equipment manufacturers and technical support staff to further determine problems and acceptable resolutions.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by management*
*These tasks do not meet the Americans With Disabilities Act definition of essential job functions and are usually less than 5% of time spent. However, these tasks still constitute important performance aspects of the job.
Education and/or Experience
High School diploma or equivalent PLUS two years of telecommunications schooling or equivalent work experience. Two years’ experience in the installation and maintenance of Outside Plant and Central Office equipment also required.
- Driver’s license
- State of Wyoming low voltage electrical license.
The general work hours for this position are 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. Overtime and on call will be required for this position. This is a Non-Exempt position, subject to the overtime provisions of FLSA.