Central Office Technician
|Department||Supervisor CO Supervisor - FORSYTH|
|FLSA Status Non-Exempt||Location Forsyth, MT|
|Date March 11, 2021||Closing Open Until Filled|
Installs, maintains, and tests all types of central office and associated facilities such as remote switching units, digital switching and transmission equipment, soft switching, broadband/IP Technology, central office grounding and protection, microwave, T-carrier and/or lightwave systems for trunking, central office power systems and subscriber and trunk carrier systems. Special circuit services deployment and related processes and technology; Including but not limited to DS0, DS1, DS3, SONET, Ethernet technology, DWDM technology. Install, maintain, and test voice mail and digital cross connect systems. Monitors quality of toll, extended area service (EAS), special circuits and other subscriber carrier facilities. Maintains fiber optic and other communications transmission systems. Responsible for preventing service degradation and ensuring service reliability. Monitors trouble and alarm reports; mitigates and clears troubles; Responsible for Central Office facilities/ equipment records. Performs routine inspections of central office facilities, cabling and power connections. This position will require travel away from the normal reporting location from time to time.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and test digital and analog central office equipment, remote units and carrier system equipment. Maintenance is both routine and restorative.
- Maintain fiber optic and microwave transmission systems.
- Install, service, rearrange, and remove central office facilities equipment as required; including installation of racking as well as cable management
- Install and maintain special circuits.
- Install, maintain, and test voicemail and short messaging systems.
- Performs related duties such as making acceptance and lineup tests and installing support structures for power supplies and cable.
- Repair and provide preventive maintenance on central office equipment including power supply equipment, rectifiers, standby generators, batteries, ringing machines, and distribution panels.
- Test, maintain, and evaluate performance of all other central office equipment, including customer line equipment, central office switching gear and common equipment, trunks, and billing and traffic metering equipment.
- Places cross-connections needed to establish, modify, or terminate services;
- Coordinate with connecting companies when establishing, maintaining, and removing special service circuits, including FX lines, broadcast circuits, and data transmission facilities.
- Receive, analyze and clear trouble reports in carrier and all central office equipment and develop a record-keeping system.
- Record and forward traffic metering usage data and forwards all recorded billing data to commercial or accounting departments.
- Complete and submit trouble reports and related records to appropriate personnel, and maintain record-keeping system.
- Comply with all RUS specifications, industry standards, safety rules and regulations, and company policies.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned by management*
*These tasks do not meet the Americans With Disabilities Act definition of essential job functions and are usually less than 5% of time spent. However, these tasks still constitute important performance aspects of the job.
Education and/or Experience
Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent plus specialized training in electronics that includes extensive knowledge of principles of electronics, electronics maintenance and telephony; Must possess knowledge of methods and techniques of computer operation, menu-driven software programs; Five years of experience in Central Office switching/Plant Operations preferred.
The general work hours for this position are 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. Overtime will be required on occasion. This is a Non-Exempt position, subject to the overtime provisions of FLSA.
Send resume with cover letter and Career Opportunity Form to: